Saturday 6 April 2013

A Fantasy Story Chapter One


Chapter One
The Ordinary Everyday Normal Guy
            When you ask a high school student what they want to do when they graduate or grow up. You might hear them answer with nurse or electrician or even teacher. However that would be a boring story if we followed one of those kids so let us take a look at Van Jones.


          Van is an ordinary student with ordinary grades and an ordinary life style. He does do some sports that the small town school offers but he doesn’t excel at anything, which would make people notice him. It is because of his “get the job done and go home” priorities that he finds it difficult to find people to be good friends with him. And so everyday Van would go to school, complete his classes, walk home alone and spend the rest of the day with whatever homework he had to do. And it’s also because of this routine of being alone and homework every day that Van became more and more depressed.
The one thing that Van prides himself with is his videogames that are about fantasy lands and fighting for a better future. He would spend hours indulging in these games and getting his characters stronger as their journey went on through their world. When no one was around and Van had some time to himself, he would practice fighting like the characters in his videogames. Pretending to swing a sword at his enemies and jumping around dodging invisible strikes. But because these exercises were illogical to practice he kept them secret so no one would see him running and jumping like an idiot.
Van loves his fantasy videogames he plays so much that he would like to go and have an adventure like the ones he has seen so many times before. Van hoped and wished every day that a person would come and offer him to come along on a journey to lands far away and dangers that must be stopped. However as the days went by and the end of the school year came closer and closer, Van became even more depressed because it meant for him that he had to pick another path to life and not go on his adventure. It meant that Van had to live on earth as an even more boring person who would do boring things through boring tasks that are boring. However in this story things are going to be changed just a little bit so that you, the reader, won’t put this book down on the table and say I’ll finish it later when you and I both know you won’t. You would put this book down and do something else like clean your room or do the dishes that have been sitting there for a while now and should really be done and even if you began to read a book again it might not be this one because you didn’t want to read about a boring guy who doesn’t like life or a story about far out and unrealistic fantasy that has its own language and needs a dictionary to decipher what the hell is going on in it.
So for the sake of the reader and the sake of all those stories that seemed too boring to get past the first chapter, we shall read about the adventures of a normal kid who was forced to another dimension and how he tries to find his way back home. Now that’s a story I believe everyone can enjoy.
            Today seemed like every other day to Van as he got ready for another day of school. However it doesn’t matter what you feel like, because it’s only after your whole life changes when you notice something might be different. Van did everything the same as he got ready for his school day. He put on his clothing; he got his books together and ate his breakfast before heading out the door to walk to school. The cold wind did nothing against his leather jacket as he made his way through the streets of his small southern town. Van saw other people he goes to school with, driving by and other students of his school walking ahead of him talking and laughing as they walked together. Van sighed as he saw everyone else going to the same place together while he was left behind to walk alone. He looked up to the sky to see if there were any clouds. Van always loved looking at clouds because most of the time they would make all sorts of shapes and designs that made his imagination run away with him to another story. However this time Van saw something a little bit different in the sky.

 
Some sort of silver shape zoomed by behind the clouds catching Van’s attention and curiosity. If Van had his way he would have followed the UFO until it landed or something else happened, but the school bell had sounded and he needed to get to class so his parents didn’t worry. Both of Vans parents worked at the school which made it impossible for him to do anything wrong and have them not find out about it. Even if he was to skip a day of school they would find out about it because everyone in a small town looks out for the other and lets everyone know what happens. Probably because there is not a whole lot of interesting things going on and they are all looking for something to gossip about.
So Van ran to school and did all his classes as usual, all the while thinking about what that silver dot in the sky really was. Was it an airplane? Or a satellite? Perhaps it was just the sunlight reflecting off something silver and played tricks on Vans eyes. Needless to say Van thought about it all day.
“Whatever it was, I’m going to get to the bottom of it right after school” I, Van, thought to myself.


After school I packed my bag with my homework and began my walk home. I remember that the silver ship was heading southward, down the street that leads to the bridge where I used to go and catch frogs. As I make my way there I feel a strange presence looming in the air with the smell of burning garbage. Nobody would have thought twice about it because farmers around here burn trash all the time, but I smelt burnt garbage before and this smelt a little different.
When I crossed the bridge there was a faint humming sound that I followed to a large crater. I got really excited and curious to what adventure this unknown discovery would lead me. However I did wonder why I, nor anyone for that matter, hear any sort of earth shattering kaboom. There were all sorts of signs of an unknown object colliding with the earth, but the only remnants that remained was the trail of burnt soil that started small and grew bigger as it curved further into the empty field.  

 
“What? This can’t be all there is to this, there must be more than meets the eye here” I said to myself, searching for more clues.
I scoured at the ground and surroundings but saw nothing at all. Not a single set of tire tracks, tractor ruts, or footprint. Nothing that would suggest this was made by man.
The humming sound was louder now as I got closer to the end of the burnt path. I treaded lightly around the crash site slowly making my way closer and closer to the truth. Just then I hit the truth. I hit the truth hard and with my head. My head rang with a bang and knocked me to the ground as if I ran into a wall. The sound of air burst from the space above me as the dust around my feet stirred. A scene from a science fiction show played out right before me as an invisible door opened right in front of me. I kicked myself to my feet to stand so I could be ready to either stand or run really fast in the other direction. I stayed on my toes not knowing what dangers I was getting myself into, but maybe that’s why I couldn’t walk away.


The door opened and there stood a man who wore a long red trench coat which hung open revealing the chest plate he wore underneath. He stood strong but he was hunched and battered as though he had been fighting for a while. I felt as if I had to help him somehow, there had to be something that I could do even if it was something small, something.
“Are you alright?” I asked first. Yes that’s awesome
The man in the red coat didn’t say anything though; he just stood there and looked around as if he didn’t know what he was looking at. I tried to communicate with him again. Maybe finding out more about him will allow me to figure out a way to help.
“Are You A Space man?” I said, reducing all the possibilities.
Now the stranger turned his attention to me. He stared at me with such intensity that it sent shivers down my spine. It made me fear for my life as if one wrong move from me would make him kill me. Out of fear I stood my ground not sure what he would do or say, just hoping that I didn’t piss him off.
            Suddenly he heard a noise from behind him making him look back quickly. I didn’t know what it was or what it meant, but it seemed to me that he was scared of it.
“Get out of here kid! It’s too dangerous” he said in a raspy and honorable voice.
I couldn’t move, I didn’t even think for a few moments, but all of the sudden I was acting without my permission.
“But you need help, your too injured to be on your own” I had said on instinct.
“Listen kid, I appreciate you trying to help, but this is a fight and I won’t be able to keep you and me safe” the man said and he grabbed a sword that was hanging by his left side.
“The harder the fight, the better it is” I had said stepping forward punching my hand to crack my knuckles.
            What am I doing? I haven’t gotten into a fight since the seventh grade! And I lost that fight, badly. I am so dead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment