Sunday 7 April 2013

A Fantasy Story Chapter Four


Chapter Four

Hot Pursuit & Hot Girls

            Confused and nervous I quietly made my way to the ball room as the voice I heard said. I couldn’t really explain what the voice was or why I could hear it, but I didn’t think much about it because ever since I was little I could hear people talking to me when there was nobody there, which would explain why I had trouble concentrating in school or why I had trouble keeping deadlines for assignments.

            The ninja instincts took over as I moved from one hiding spot to the next, approaching closer and closer to the ballroom, cleverly concealing my presence in the shadows behind various tables and pillars. However half way across the main entrance I took a brief moment to admire the craftsmanship it took to build this castle

“Take it away Mr. voice-in-my-head” Van said leaving me, the narrator, to briefly describe the grand hall he was now in.

            The floors and pillars where made of white marble, similar to the marble Van had been laying on when he woke up. Except this marble was cleaned and polished to a beautiful shine. The Staircase that lead upstairs were made of rich mahogany, as where the matching railings, and were draped in fine blue velvet. A breeze was blowing through the broken windows on either side of the large duel front door causing the blue curtains to dance slightly above the hand crafted trim that covered the whole room, but only as high to Vans knees. The pillar Van was hiding behind was holding up a gangway that was up about fifteen feet and followed the base of a grand stained glass window that overlooked the castle grounds. A raven with its wings stretched out was depicted in the stained glass window barding the sunlight from entering through the black stain.

“Now I’m sure that’s not normal” I said to myself. “Just what in the hell is that”

            Trying to keep my mind from wondering I moved to the doors to the ballroom, which were old and difficult to open. It took me some time to get them open enough for me to enter. However once inside I saw that no one was there.

“There’s no one here” I said looking around the room wishing that I was wrong. But alas I saw no one what so ever.

            Just then, as I was walking further into the room, I noticed a flicker out of the corner of my eye. I looked over at the white fireplace and noticed that there were burnt sticks and a few embers that still remained there from a recent fire. This proved that there were someone or thing here using this fire place not too long ago, but the question now is where are they now?

“I wonder if they are up stairs.” I asked myself

“Maybe with even more things for me to obtain” I went on thinking about all the loot I could get from the other rooms in the castle.

“Shut up, just keep walking” said an unknown ladies voice from a book case. The voice startled me at first but then gained my interest. Inspecting the books on the shelf and the book case itself took physical and intellectual strength for it was taller than I was and filled with books. There was no space left unoccupied on its wooden shelves. I got really close to the books as so I could read their titles.

“Come on books, tell me more of your secrets” I said caressing one of the many books. Then my hand brushed against a hidden button causing the book case to swing open, pushing me out of the way. I was lucky that I jumped out of the way for the book case door opened all the way open, knocking against the wall.

“Whew, my luck is still working. But I wonder what’s down these stairs”

            They were dark and there wasn’t a torch in sight that I could have used to light the way.

“OK dark and creepy basement level. I’ve played enough videogames and I’ve seen enough movies to see what’s going to happen here. You want me to prance on down there where I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about and then just when everything is happy and joyful a flippin zombie or a giant experimental monster with freaking lasers in his face is going to creep very quietly behind me a couple of times making me look back and say, Oh it’s just my imagination, and then I’ll die! I’ll flippin die!” I said as I walked around the ballroom acting out what might happen to me if I go down there.

“However, it is in the basement where you find the key items one needs to continue the game. And besides I might get lucky enough to stumble upon some sort of power weapon like a plasma sword or a bazooka” My thoughts conflicted within my mind, fighting for which path I should take and which one I should not.

            After a few minutes of decision making and a short list of pros and cons I decided to take my chances in the basement. It was mostly because of greed that convinced me to dungeon crawl around for treasure but I also wanted to know whether or not there where people down there and if there where would they need help if they get attacked by a werewolf with the head of a shark. My imagination is a vast ocean one can easily get lost in, don’t judge me.

            The darkness made me blind and I saw nothing but what the dim light from outside lit from the door way. My left hand held the wall so I didn’t fall while my right held the sword just in case something attacks me, like bats.

“One step at a time” I thought as I walked further down the spiraling stairs and further away from the exit.

            Another five steps and the darkness was all around me. I was a little scared but the thought that there where people that took this same path before me eased my anxiety. The footsteps I took echoed against the stone as I ventured further into the dark, my hand still against the wall hoping that I would hit a light switch or something. Suddenly a surge of power passed my hand making it tingle and a flame like light started to glow against the wall. There was no torch or light bulb to be seen and yet there was light just emanating from certain points in the wall.

“Well that’s convenient” I said feeling a weight of relief lifting off my shoulders.

Walking into the basement level I see a straight hallway and three other hallways that intersect the other. This meant for me that there were more possible rooms for treasure to be hiding in. I got excited as a dog whom just heard a door bell and made my way through the dungeon. The first room was filled with hopes and dreams as I peeked through the small sliding door, but then my ambitions where struck down as I realized where I was.

“This is a torcher room” I said as I looked upon the devices used to cause pain and agony to another person.

That room seemed to have been copied and pasted to all the other rooms as well for the next twenty nine rooms where the same, they all had devices of torcher and I could somehow feel the sadness, of those who were imprisoned here, lingering in the air like smoke from a cigar. However there was one room that was different from the rest. The room was bigger and bare from any instruments of torcher, only a desk and a small chest which was beside it remained inside, making it more inviting than the other rooms of death. I opened the rusty metal door and walked over to the chest by the table.

“Darn, it has a pad lock” I said, looking for the missing key, but there was no key to spare. So I took my sword and slashed the lock clean off. And then I totally did a victory pose, stamping my foot on the chest and trusting the sword in the air, it was pretty awesome.

            Inside the chest was Van saw a Scroll wrapped in a blue ribbon, a letter with a wax seal depicting a raven similar to what was in the stain glass window and a silver chain necklace. He didn’t dare open the letter for Van is a gentleman who respects the privacy of others private property. This of course doesn’t count when there is a locked chest in a secret basement of someone else house. He put the chain around his neck and then walked to the table where he laid opened the scroll.

“This is a map” Van thought to himself. He didn’t know how to read it to learn what it was it lead to, so he rolled the map back up and put it in one of the bigger pouches on the back of the belt.

“I really should ask a doctor about this voice in my head, it might be from hitting my head earlier”

            Gathering the key items from the room I moved on to yet another spiral stair case that yet again led down even further. I didn’t even think twice about hesitating for I knew that there would be lights along the walls and because I didn’t hear anything moving around or sense anything sneaking behind me, which made me feel like I was safe.

“One step at a time” I said once again, giving me courage to keep moving forward to find out what exactly is all down here.

            There are more voices that I hear coming from the bottom of the stair case. It sounds like they are speaking English but I’m still too far away to understand what it is they are saying. I keep walking down, this time more casually than when I first started from the book case. The lights lit up the way just as before but this time my curiosity aimed at how the lights worked. Studying the light I saw that there was writing on the wall in symbols I did not recognize.

“What magic is this?” My mind wondered.

            Suddenly I felt something lurking right behind me. I turn to see what was there, but nothing was to be seen.

“OK that’s not strange at all” I said sarcastically trying to humor myself from panicking. Knowing that there was something stocking me I turned back and continued down the stairs. Then I heard a ticking sound of something walking behind me, as if it was some sort of millipede ticking across the floor. My heart sank and my skin crawled in disgust as I started to fear about all the insects that are down here with me and could ruthlessly attack me by touching me. The sound got closer and closer, so I turned and punched the air just in case there was something there to hit, but once again there was nothing.

“Really starting to freak me out here” I said starting to think about all the possible creepy crawlies that existed and all those that I didn’t know about. Hand shaking like leaves I turn once again and move faster down the stairs thinking that I would lose whatever was following me. However no matter how fast I walked down the stairs the ticking sound was hot on my trail. With anger and fear in my heart I drew my blade and slashed behind me, but once again nothing was there.

“What the hell is there” I said loudly.

            I saw the marks of the sword engraved into the stone walls and steps but nothing was in its path. Sheathing the sword I search the walls suspicious of ninjas or invisible men, but then I remembered my games. In the game “Legend of Zelda” there is always an enemy hiding on the ceiling. I trusted my hand to point at the ceiling and said.

“Ah Ha! There you are!” but the victory wasn’t much to be celebrated for when I looked up I say a ginormous spider with huge fangs and parts of it looked mechanical. We locked each other in a stare and I couldn’t move an inch. The sight of the monstrous spider froze me in place; I was terrified and didn’t know what to do or how to do it. Then the spider started to move towards me with the intent to kill me burning deep in its many eyes. Thank goodness the blood ran to my legs just in time for me to run the hell away from it.

            I ran as fast as my body would allow me to down the stairs for I knew that the spider was right behind me, inches away from having me in its clutches. Running was all I could concentrate on, focusing as hard as I can on my footing so I didn’t slip and fall into the death that followed centimetres behind me. At first I skipped one step at a time, and then I skipped two steps at a time increasing the number of steps every second that passed.

“Why are there so many god damn stairs?” I yelled out loud wishing to escape from this monster.

            Finally I reached the bottom of the stairs and into a large grand hall that had large pillars that reached into the darkness past my eye sight. The path I was running on was straight and lead to a large duel wooden door with light illuminating through the cracks around the frame and in the middle. The spider was jumping around on the pillars trying to gain more speed as so to catch up to me. If I didn’t go through that door soon I’ll become spider chow. I ran right through the doors and smashed them open and right off their hinges sending them flying across the room.

“Watch out!” I yelled as I rocketed towards someone in my flight path, but they weren’t fast enough. We collided and tumbled across the floor.

            I didn’t see much of anything but a green and orange jumpsuit and then the room spinning around as I tried to hang on to the person and shield them from whatever we flung into. Once we stopped I opened my eyes and tried to make sure that the person I ran into was alright.

“What is this?” I asked myself as I looked upon the girl underneath me. Even though she wore large goggles on her face I could see that she was beautiful.

I was stunned by her looks for only a moment before I heard the monster spider crash into the wall above the door. It let out a loud roar to let everyone know it was angry and in pain. Quickly I sprung to my feet and helped the girl to her feet as well.

“Are you alright there?” I asked apologetically. She didn’t answer me; instead she shrugged me off and walked to her comrades who ran to her aid.

“There is a monster out there” the one in the black jumpsuit said.

“I bet he let it out of that room” another in the yellow and white jumpsuit said.

“What do we do?” asked the one in the pink jumpsuit.

“You mean about the monster or the spider?” said the one in the purple and black jumpsuit.

“First we deal with the spider then we’ll take care of him” the one in the green and orange jumpsuit as she point at me.
“Damn it! Now I’ve gone and pissed off the power rangers. Will I ever catch a break?”

No comments:

Post a Comment