Saturday 22 June 2013

A Fantasy Story Chapter Twelve


Chapter Twelve

Warrior of the Ancient Temple

            The duo stepped onto the deep tan stone floor of the ancient temple in search of a secret tunnel. A damp dirt stench lingered in the air as they wondered around the entrance which allowed the setting sun light up the walls inside.

“We need to find a torch or something, so we’re not bumping around in the dark” I said inspecting the carvings in a column.

“What’s a torch? Is that a type of spell or something?” Mayhew asked confused.

“No, it’s a stick that you light on fire and lights up the dark. Not magic”

“Wait, what’s magic? Is that like magika or something?”

            Van took a moment to hold his forehead in exasperation.

“Ok now, you’re telling me you haven’t heard of a torch and magic is actually called magika?”

 “That’s about right”

“With that in mind, what do you do to see in the dark?”

“People just use a light spell like this” and Mayhew preformed the spell.

            It appeared that he held a small ball in the palm of his hand as strands of light flowed down as if it was water or fog.

“Woah! How are you doing that?” I asked studying his hand as if I could see the mechanism that allows Mayhew to do this.

“It’s just a spell; do you not know how to do spells?”

“…no” I said looking down with disappointment.

“Don’t worry Van, I can teach you sometime. It’s real easy”

            I appreciated his light hearted generosity, but I didn’t have the heart nor the energy to tell him that I’m from another dimension and can’t perform spells from this dimension. Instead we continued on our journey in the temple to find the secret tunnel the only way I knew how; we dungeon crawled.

            The temple stretched far into the mountain and had several hundred rooms that all served their own purpose. Van and Mayhew slowly inspected them all, one by one, for answers about the tunnel, however Van had other motives to his search. I do wonder what Van would do if he finds a chest full of gold that weighs over a ton, or two thousand pounds. You know what? I think I’ll do that.

            We turned the corner that leads down yet another hallway and we saw light coming from a room halfway down. When we got there, my jaw dropped so far that I felt the cold floor for the room was filled with gold, gems and other treasures for the taking. I could hardly believe how rich and glorious the room was that I foolishly stumbled into it and picked up two handfuls of gold coins. Suddenly the door solid stone door closed behind me, locking me inside the treasure room alone. I must have activated a trap when I entered the room, and that means there must be more to this room that meets the eye. Just then the room began to feel very hot and began to get even hotter until I couldn’t take it anymore. Out of anger I attacked the door with my fists and as the gold began to melt I drew my sword and sliced the door in half. I didn’t realize that Mayhew was standing right behind the door and he too was cut in half. My stomach ached as I realized what I had done, so much I didn’t even feel the molten gold pass my feet, melting and searing my skin off.

            All of the sudden I realized I was looking at my hands holding gold coins, like I had been before the door closed. Quickly, I kicked myself out of the room and got Mayhew out of the way of the door which closed just as I exited the room.

 “Woah! That was too close!”

“What was that?!” Mayhew asked me.

“That room had a trap set in it. I needed to get out of that room before I was trapped inside”

“How did you know that? I didn’t see anything”

“Let’s just say that I had a feeling. Now then let’s keep going, and leave the treasure where it is before we’re cooked alive”

            Before we moved on, I noticed that there was a few gold coins laying on the floor. I exercised caution as I picked up all twenty of them and put them with the other five I had gotten from that mansion in chapter three, I mean X. Von Ravenblood mansion.

            Curiosity filled my head as I wondered how I can get a better handle on this future sight I received. It seemed to me that every time it happens, it shows me people dying and that gives me another chance to change my fate.

“If only I could use it before then, I could use it to scout ahead for danger. That way I wouldn’t have to die in order to see what I have to do”

“What was that?” Mayhew asked as he overheard me talking to myself.

“Huh? Oh uh, nothing. I was just thinking about the other rooms and whether or not they’ll be traps or not. We’ll have to tread lightly”

“Hmm, right! I’ll be careful” Mayhew says only to turn around and trip on his own foot.

            Shaking my head, I went over and picked him off the ground so we can continue our search.

            Thirty or so rooms later, we find a room I can only assume was the center of the temple for it was far more elaborate and bigger than all the rooms prior this this room. At the center of the room, we saw a pedestal with a diamond idol that sat upon it.

“Whatever you do Mayhew, do not touch that idol”

“Why?”

“Just don’t touch it. I’ve seen Indiana Jones and I don’t want to run down a long hallway with a giant ball chasing us!”

“Oh alright” Mayhew said disappointed.

            We must have spent an hour looking around in this room for clues about the secret tunnel. I read the scriptures on the walls, because for some reason learning new languages became the easiest thing in the world. Mayhew on the other hand looked at the clearly booby trapped idol in the middle of the room.

“Hey Van! Take a look at this stuff” I heard Mayhew said.

            Sitting on the floor, all laid out, was a suit of armor and a sheathed sword. The words on the pedestal told me that this was the armor and weapon of a great warrior whom long ago saved the island from a great beast that tried to eat all the islanders.

“Cool! Armor” I said picking up the gloves and put them on.

“Woah wait!” Mayhew yelled.

“What!? What!?” I asked frozen in place.

“Oh nothing happened. That’s funny”

“What do you mean? Is this thing cursed or something?”

“Well now that you mention it”

            I quickly took them off and dropped them on the floor.

“Why? Why didn’t you say something sooner? Now I got the curse all over me!” I exclaimed as I tried to wipe of the invisible curse goo off me.

“No it’s alright! You are worthy to wear the armor!” Mayhew yelled at me with excitement.

“What do you mean worthy?”

“Legends say that those who are worthy are allowed to wear Bowakka’s legendary armor. Many people tried to take his armor after he had died only to have their body parts burn off! But your hands remained whole, so you’re the first person that can wear it! That’s awesome!”

“Yeah Ha! Alright!” I said receiving a high five from Mayhew.

            I discarded my leather jacket and put the chest piece on first. Next I put on the leggings and then the boots before the shin guards. After that I put on the shoulder pads I put the gloves back on and left the buckler, mask and helmet for last, which I wondered whether or not I should were. However I decided to wear it all because I wanted to have the complete illusion. I did keep my shirt and the left over shorts I made from my pants for there was nothing to this armor for pants or shirt. Soon after I got all the armor on, I realized that there was no way to attach Bowakka’s sword to my body.

“What is this? I got nothing to attach the sword to”

“Just hold it” Mayhew said as he looked at the idol again.

            Holding the sheathed blade in my hand, I saw it disappear suddenly like predator armor.

“That’s so awesome! But how do I get it back?”

“How do you normally draw a sword?” he asked sarcastically.

            So being the grown adult that I am, I performed a special move that resembled something from power rangers. A few quick hand signs and then I brought my hands together as if I’m drawing the blade out of my hand. To my surprise it actually worked.

“Mayhew! Did you see that? That was totally bad a- What are you doing!?”

            Mayhew had grabbed the idol that I said specifically not to touch, and took it off the pedestal. This caused part of the wall to sink down slowly as if it was a door and reviled a very dark room where deep inside we heard deep dragon-like breathing.

“Mayhew, if there is a giant breathing boulder in there I’m going to be so angry”

            Just then a tall mummified Anubis-like creature holding a spear and shield emerged from the dark and into Mayhew’s light spell. Mayhew let out a sigh of relief.

“Whew, thank goodness it’s not a breathing boulder”

            Van uses face palm, its super effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment